Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Exploring Brisbane - The Flying-by-the-Seat-of-Your-Pants Tour

4/29/2014

Today's "flying-by-the-seat-of-your-pants" tour started off at 9 AM with what I hoped was a somewhat direct walk to one of the CityCat terminals closest to the Kookaburra Inn.  In about 20 minutes I was able to get to the river walk and the Riverside Terminal for about a 10-minute on the mono hull ferry to the South Bank that we visited yesterday. 

I took a few minutes to enjoy the South Bank Parklands, the Rainforest Green, the Nepalese Pagoda, and the Wheel of Brisbane.

Beautiful floral landscape lining the Clem Jones Promenade.

Cityscape viewed from the Clem Jones Promenade at South Bank terminal.


The absolutely stunning Nepalese Pagoda.

A better view of the Wheel of Brisbane.


By the time I visited and revisited all of these landmarks it was almost time for lunch. I was overdue for a major sushi fix so I decided to hear up Melbourne Street in the West End to try out Tsuru Sushi Cafe. This was a new part of Brisbane I hadn't explored yet, but it didn't take me long to realize that this was definitely my neighborhood for Asian eating. There was Korean barbecue, Vietnamese noodle shops, Japanese sushi cafes - I thought I died and went to heaven!

I enjoyed an Asahi draught, some California rolls, some prawn tempura rolls and some teriyaki wagyu beef rolls - all with plenty of wasabi. Everything was absolutely delicious. I would definitely eat there again if I was ever in Brisbane.

Before walking to the West End for lunch, I popped in at the Queensland Performing Arts Centre to see if they might have any available tickets for either the symphony, ballet, theatre or the opera for later today. I lucked out with a ticket for the Lyric Theatre Opera Australia's matinee production of The King & I.  I had an affordable seat in the 4th row of the 2nd level balcony (I'd forgotten how expensive theatre could be since I've been volunteering so I can attend free of charge). The sets were incredible; the acting and singing were fantastic; the acoustics were amazing; and the overall production was awesome! I was so glad I had a chance to enjoy the opportunity. Now I've experienced either opera or theatre in three Australian capital cities: the Sydney Opera House (Turandot); the Victorian Arts Center (Il Trovatore); and Brisbane's Lyric Theatre (The King & I).

One last ride and one last call for XXXX as I hopped on the CityCat and headed to the famous Breakfast Creek Hotel. I tried the XXXX of the wood - brewed in the wood cask - and compare it with my usual draught XXXX. I think I'll stick with the draught - guess I'm not an oaky girl when it comes to both the beer and wine.
The historic Breakfast Creek Hotel.

Back on the CityCat to the Kookaburra Inn to shower and pack for tomorrow's 7 AM departure to the airport for my return flight to Sarasota.  It was a great visit and one that I will cherish along with my other 2 trips Down Under.

No comments:

Post a Comment